Question
Posted by: Sad2bme | 2004/09/29

Clinically depressed?

Hi...

Someone recommended that i chat to you - i'm feeling really desperate - dont know which way to turn.

I moved to jhb to be with my boyfriend, we are going thru a hectic time tho - think its due to my erratic mood swings, mistrusting attitude & just generally miserable state of mind - most of the time. I am extremely sensitive & feelings get hurt easily - which lead to constant arguing and sometimes horrible fights with a lot of character bashing.

Just a little of my history....I'm 34, am starting freelance work - am a graphic/web designer (taking a while to build up a client base tho). Also studying - qualify as an interior designer 4th Dec.

I was addicted to tranquilizers for 10 years, came off them about 2 months ago, going thru a bad time, feel like i'm losing my mind.
I can be on a high then 5 minutes later so low - cant focus on anything, forget a lot, very sad - irratable. Just want out....dont know where either want to run or die.
Have had a crazy life - but hey, who hasn't these days? My childhood was very difficult, parents eventually divorced when i was 19. i married when i was 27 - my x cheated on me with my best friend, am now divorced (4 years).

Was so desperate, on Monday, went to a psychologist - she reckons i'm clinically depressed & need to be assessed - as maybe should be on anti-depressants. Please tell me will these pills really help me? Am i ever going to have a normal, loving, trusting relationship again? I plan to join an anxiety & depression support group - will that be of help?

Thanx for listening. Anxiously awaiting your reply.

Bye
Sad2bme

Dear Sad2bme,
I hope you will soon be reporting here as Glad2bme. Yep, it takes time to build up a client base ( I've been on the web since the early 90's, an know this well ).
Sounds like you might still be wrestling with some of the later side-effects of coming of that tranquillizer adiction, as this task can take rather longer than most people expect it to. See a shrink for a re-assessment of the situation, and maybe if he thinks you might need some aid to tranquillity, try Buspirone, a slower onset and gentler tranquillizer to which people just dont get addicted.
If you are indeed Depressed, antidepressants can help a good deal, and they also often relieve the anxiety symptom, too.
Joining a support group should indeed be helpful, too.
And of course you will be able to have a normally satisfying and trusting relationship again, if you work on it. Counselling could be a key ingredient in this process.