Question
Posted by: Helpless | 2008/01/11

Clinical psychologist or psychiatrist

Best wishes to you, the team and readers for 2008!<br><br>I have been attempting to lose weight for the last 6 years. Been to the dietician for approximately 2 years in the beginning. After recording everything I ate for this period in a diary and still limited success my dietician suggested that we do some blood tests and found out that I am insulin resistant. However I am still struggling to loose weight although I am on Metformin. I am also vegetarian and wheat and dairy intolerant with IBS. I have cravings for cheese and chocolate. I seem eat well and exercise in short spurts then revert back or sabotage myself as a result my weight yo-yos in a narrow band with no lose from year to year. I have also found that I am unable to maintain a food diary. I think it is a good idea to consult a professional but am not sure how to go about it. Should I go to a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist. How will I know if they specialize in weight management? How will I know who is good?<br><br>Your assistance will be highly appreciated.<br>

Dear Helpless
It may be a good idea for you to consult a clinical psychologist (look them up in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists/Sielkundiges') to help you to find out why you are sabotaging your attempts to lose weight and to stick to a low-GI diet for your insulin resistance. The psychologist need to actually be a specialist in weight management, but you can of course ask when you make the appointment if the given psychologist specialises in weight-related problems and if the receptionist can perhaps refer you to someone who does. In the meanwhile do stick to the diet prescribed by the dietitian as far as possible because even if you don't lose any weight right now, it is essential that you stick to a low-GI, low-fat eating plan to prevent yourself from developing type 2 diabetes.
Hang in there