Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/05/10

Clinical depression

Symptoms : loss of energy, lack of interest, difficulty concentrating. I have no suicidal thoughts. What, in your opinion, is the best medication with the least side effects? I have suffered before and was given Lilyfluoxetine which, in my opinion, no longer worked after a while. I am currently not on any medication. Was prescribed Aropax but have heard this has many many side effects.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

I wish there was a simple answer to that, A. ALL the available antidepressant meds work well with some 70 % of those who take them, and are disappointing in the other 30 %. And I have come across no reliable way of predicting in advance which drug will suit which person, other than trial and error. Generally, if an AD works, it should continue to work, sometimes for years, rather than losing its benefits.
Similarly, they all have side-effects, often rather similar, but we each vary in the extent to which this troubles us -- --- we may be very bothered by the side-effects of one drug, and not by those of even a fairly similar one.
Both Fluoxetine and Aropax belong to the same family of ADS, and there are others from other families, which might suit you better. It would be best to see a good local psychiatrist for a full assessment and a discussion of your experiences on these two drugs, and advice on selecting an alternative. Fortunately there are numerous alternatives.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.