Question
Posted by: lady | 2007/08/02

"clicking" shoulder and hip

My shoulder "clicks" quite often. Especially when I am in the gym or doing yoga. It gets irritating. My hip also does that when I walk uphill. Is there anything I can do to improve this? Both on my lefthand side of my body.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Lady,

Clicking in and around the shoulder complex is an extremely common occurnece. The causes are numerous. One of the more common causes of actual shoulder (gleno-humeral joint) clicking are small tears within a group of tendons called the rotator cuff. These muscles and tendons help to stabilise the shoulder joint. Small tears can iften develop in these tendons, especially as we get older. This can lead to a degree of joint instability and associated clicking, especially with large movements. In other cases, a grinding type sensation can be heard/felt and this is often due to wear and tear of the acromio-clavicular joint. My advice would be not to worry about the clicking unless it is accompanied by direct pain. If this is the case, then I would suggest that as a first line of therapy, you consult an Osteopath or a Physio for a full assessment of your shoulder.

With regards to your hip, again this is not an uncommon condition. In most cases, it is caused by some of the longer tendons which pass over the hip snapping over the bony protuberance called the greater trochanter. It is quite common in teenage girls and is often referred to as 'snapping' hip. A grinding like snesation may be felt in the hip with advanced osteoarthritis.

I hope that this helps.

Best wishes,

Dr. Gary Riley