Question
Posted by: Click! | 2008/01/07

Clicking Knee

hi, i have this annoying clicking noise in my right knee since i started jogging adn walking late last year. i was hoping it would go away but no! even when i go up the stairs, i hope and pray that no one else hears this clicking sound! it's not painful at all. what can i do? what causes it? please help

Clicking joints is not all that unusual. I think (though I don't want to say I'm 100% sure of this) the cause is gas escaping from fluid-filled compartments in the joints. As for whether it's harmful in the long term, it depends on the severity and the cause of the clicking - usually, there's no problem at all, and it's only inconvenient for the sound it makes.

The one thing that is reportedly helpful is to strengthen the joints to provide more stability, so that's something you can do - things like squats, half-squats etc will help a little. otherwise, I suspect it will improve over time and you'll look back in a few months (hopefully) and wonder what the fuss was about!