Question
Posted by: Adele | 2007/08/17

Cleft lip & Cleft palate

My sister-in-law’s baby where born with a cleft lip (binary) and palate. The gyni only picked this up on 8 months.

What are the changes that when I fall pregnant, my child will also be born with some sort of defect or even the same defect?

This is a huge concern.

If this is the only person in your family to have this, it is unlikely to be heriditary.

3
Posted by: Adele | 2007/08/30

Dear Gynaedoc

My cousin (now 32 years old) was also born with a cleft lip & palate. My husband's side of the family, there's 2 cases - his nephew and his sister’s son.
I'm 29, been on thripasil, jasmin and melodene. Not on the pill anymore (stop 4 months ago). Anything I can do to maybe prevent or minimize the chances?

Reply to Adele
Posted by: Jesse | 2007/08/21

Is there any way these days to fix that? And how soon will they be able to do so? I am also pregnant and so scared this will happen to my baby. How soon and by which way can they pick this up?

Reply to Jesse
Posted by: Granny | 2007/08/17

Hi Adele. My granddaughter was born with a cleft palate on Monday and the hospital and University of Pretoria have given us a lot of literature. If you're interested let me have you e-mail address and I can mail something to you. The other option is the internet.

Reply to Granny