Question
Posted by: Alice | 2007/07/26

Cleaning teeth and oral health

hi

I had gingivitus and although am fastidious about cleaning my teeth it slowly developed into peridontal disease. I am managing it with regular cleanings at hte hygenist but am very worried as am only 37. I fear my teeth will all fall out in 10 years. healthy teeth make one look so much younger. Could you give me any advice?
what must I do to keep my gums healthy?

Dear Alice
As I am the Diet Expert, I cannot really give advice about oral hygiene, which you must discuss with your dentist and the oral hygienist. From a dietary point of view it is essential to eat a well balanced diet (i.e. plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, low-fat milk and dairy products (milk, yoghurt cottage cheese and other cheeses), unprocessed grains and cereals, lean meat, fish, eggs (4 per week), legumes (dry beans, peas, lentils and soya), and mono-or polyunsaturated fats and oils (soft margarine and oils like olive or canola oil). Make sure that you eat at least one source of vitamin C a day (oranges, grapefruit, naartjies, lemons, guava, berries, pawpaw, mango, spanspek, cabbage, broccoli, sweet peppers, tomatoes) because vitamin C protects gums and ensures healthy tissues.