Question
Posted by: Circumcision | 2008/01/03

Circumcision, should I?

I am a 24 year old male. I have a very small penis in which sometimes I can only see my skin (I am over weight and have some fat in the area). I also smell sometimes and have a problem cleaning behind my foreskin as its hard to pull back due to the extra kgs in the area.

I have been thinking about getting circumcised for some time now and not sure if I should do it. I don’t have any huge problems with the foreskin except for the cleaning that is difficult but that is solved my making myself erect.

I guess my questions are as follows:

1. I like the sensitivity of my head will I lose this if I get circumcised?
2. Should I get the procedure done out of pure curiosity?
3. Will it give me more positives or more negatives, not only with sex but in general?
4. How much does it cost? Is it covered my medical aids?
5. And then generally how does everyone feel about this?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Dear Circumcision
I like the sensitivity of my head will I lose this if I get circumcised? Yes you will probably lose some sensitivity
2. Should I get the procedure done out of pure curiosity? NO!!!!
3. Will it give me more positives or more negatives, not only with sex but in general? I usually only recommend circumcision for real medical reasons (narrowed foreskin not manageble conservatively) or for religious reasons (Jews/Moslems) - the positive or negative effect will depend on the patient
4. How much does it cost? Is it covered my medical aids? That you will have to find out from your Medical aid and the cost will differ depending on which hospital and doctor you use
5. And then generally how does everyone feel about this? Some people are very against this, some research showed that the incidence of AIDS and Cervix cancer in partners are lower with circumcised men, but this is a very personal decision and needs to be very carefully considered, as you can't undo the operation.

3
Posted by: Malindi | 2008/08/25

my son went for circumcision about a week ago but the penis arear is strating to be septic and that is very painful as all he does is cry and he does not want anybodyt to touch him, i really don' t know waht to do

Reply to Malindi
Posted by: Koos | 2008/05/05

Hi doc,

I am concidering a circumcision for cosmetic reasons and for the reason to make my penis less sensitive during intercourse, therefore lasting longer. What are the pros and cons of this? How long do i have to stay off work and can they do it under locat aneastetic?

Reply to Koos
Posted by: umxhosa | 2008/02/06

hi Doc

Based on the above conversation can you please tell me of the places you know that perform these operations around the durban area , south africa .

and maybe estimate on the cost as to how much it costs , i got a quote of about R 2000 and R 5000 so can you please advise.

Reply to umxhosa