Posted by: Anne | 2008/09/02

Cipramil (Talomil) and Eglenol

Hi, I'  m 34 weeks pregnant. I have for many years been on anti-depressants (cipramil) Since becomming pregnant we have halfed my dosage to 20 mg. I will be taking this while breastfeeding. My dr prescribed Eglenol to be taken from 36 weeks of pregnancy. This will help me cope in the early weeks of motherhood with the depression as well as stimulate milk production. Will these two drugs together not harm me and my baby? Before and after birth?

Expert ImagePharmacist

Both drugs do carry a slight risk and your doctor should outweigh the potential risk compared to the benefit. This risk- or warning - is mainly because but the effect of these drugs have not been properly studied in human pregnancy, although a few studies have found no risk.

If you have not discussed this with a gynae I advise you do so.

Do not let this upset you - You are probably not the first person with this problem that your doctor have treated, and he would not put your baby at risk.