Question
Posted by: Kim | 2007/05/29

Cipramil and pregnancy

After our son was born (4 and half years ago) i was diagnosed with postnatal depression. My GP prescribed cipramil. It worked like a charm! It was not the first time i had tried cipramil, I was on it for about year earlier on in my life (at age about 29). I am still on Cipramil and a pyschiarist that i consulted about a year ago says giveny my "symptoms" i should be on it for the rest of my life. I was ok with this because at last I was happy and at the time i was not planning another babay. the fear of post natal depression was contraceptive enough ( i even had the loop fitted). However, i am now ready and want another baby. My question is: Can I take Cipramil when Pregnant? How will irt affect the baby? How can I make an informed decsions?

Kim

I would guess that thew psychiatrist you quote was suggsting that you remain on Cipramil permanently as you have had 2 or 3 significant episodes of Depression, which have responded well to the drug. If you are considering deliberately stopping contraception and having another baby, the best thing would be to see your psychiatrist again for a fresh assessment and specific advice based on the results of that --- the possible risks of cipramil may not be high, but need to be weigghed against the risks of severe depression recurring untreated during the pregnancy.

1
Posted by: ...... | 2007/05/30

Hi Kim, I was put on cypramil just before I fell pregnant, And when I fell pregnant, I had to stop it, you cannot take it while you are pregnant. However, my doctor told me, and I experience that I am very calm being pregnant. I think it has to do with the fact that you have the instinct to procreate, and when you fall pregnant, you have a sence of accomplishment, and calm, and happiness, that you normally would not feel. As soon as the baby is born though, I plan to go back on it. I don't want to feel depressed and angry again.

Reply to ......