Question
Posted by: Susan | 2007/11/29

Cipralex - depression

My child have been diagnosed with Asperger syndrome by a doctor (paediatrician/neorologist) who saw him only for an hour. He subscriped my 7 year old child with a 6 month script for cipralex and strattera. According to my child grade 1 teacher he do not complete his writing assignments in the given time and he lacks concentration. Futher more can I only say the Keegan is a very happy and bubbly child . I am concern about the anti depressant that been prescribed for him. Do I need to worry and is there anything else I rather can use?

Its hard to guess how long a thorough assessment should take, as so much depends on the specific situation --- in some cases the diagmnosis is very clear from the start and can be readily confirmed. It sounds, though, as if you would be wise to seek a second opinion from a CHild Psychiatrist, to set your mind at rest. strattera is generally used in ADHD, though I have heard of some using it in Asperger's syndrome. I'm less sure about Cipralex, a rather over-fashionable and over-used antidepressant, and have founf little really good data on its use in children overall.