Posted by: zurita | 2008/07/12

My husband has been on Cipralex since he was 60- he's now 63. He has the sort of personality that is definitely improved by this drug- he's on the agressive scale of the passive-aggressive continuum and any stress or depression is taken out on his loved ones.Anyway, we his family firmly believe he has become so used to this drug that it no longer does its job. Either that or he needs a different type of drug, like they give to schizos? IIncidentally he is also a heavy drinker midday to midnight every single day and he couldn't care less that he's not supposed to drink with this drug. He always persuades the GP to renew his prescription without a consultation (he is forceful and persuasive and can put on a good act of being perfectly reasonable and sensible). I actually don't blame the GP. He probably thinks repeating the script is the lesser of 2 evils. How would you diagnose and treat my husband? How should I treat him? Forget it- he'll never accept that there's anything wrong with him and would not attend therapy.

Generally, such drugs don't tend to just stop working effectively. The heavy drinking is far more likely to account for his aggressiveness than any depression needing Cipralex or any other such drug. I wouldn't give an antidepressant to an alcoholic / problem drinker unti the drinking was stopped. And while he's sure there's nothing wrong with him and wouldn't see a therapist, it hardly matters what the best diagnosis might be. Though as he has taken the Cipralex, p[resumably he felt there was some worthwhile reason for that ?

Posted by: patsy | 2008/07/14

Stupid Johnny--8-10 words refers to the SUBJECT line!!!

Reply to patsy
Posted by: Johnny | 2008/07/14

My question about Cipralex is much longer then 8 to 10 words.

Reply to Johnny