Question
Posted by: Jacqui | 2006/04/10

Cipralex

Hi CS,

My GP prescribed one months supply of Cipralex (10mg) for my depression. I actually asked him for Cipramil (since I had been on a course of that about 10 years ago with no funny side effects). This is my third week on this medication and last Friday I had an anxiety attack. It was really scary. I felt that the world and people were closing in on me and I was very agitated and could not sit still. I need to go back to my doctor just before the medication ends and he plans to put me on a generic alternataive.
My sleeping patterns are currently haywire and fluctuate between insomnia or when I finally do fall asleep, I don't want to get out of bed in the morning. Is this anxiety normal? Is this medication safe? Please advise.

As the company marketing Cipralex has never bothered to keep me properly informed about it, I have never prescribed or recommended it, though they do seem to have somehow persuaded an awful lot of doctors to prescribe it. The anxiety atack could be related to the Cipralex. As there is no generic equivalent to Cipralex, yet, what your doctor may be thinking of is the generic equivalent to Cipramil, called Cilift, which is chemically identical but much cheapter. The Cipralex is supposed to be safe, and the Cilift is safe enough that its probably the drug I'd choose if I needed one for a Depression, and which I'd recommend within my own family.
Buzz and Clueless raise a very interesting point, though, having had excellent results with the Cipralex, after enduring similar anxiety and sleep disturbance in the first few weeks, then settling down. So discuss this again with your doc, and maybe it'd be worth persisting a bit longer on the Cipralex.

2
Posted by: Clueless. | 2006/04/10

I have been on lots of anti-depressants. Cipralex (after 2 months) seem to be working well. The first two or three weeks was terrible as I too got a huge panic attack and had to stay home to recollect for a whole week. I felt jittery and even irritated to the extend of really being nasty sometimes. Now, however, I feel better (depression wise) than I have in years. The thoughts of suicide and self-harm gone. Just stick it out. If it works for you, it usually works very well.

Reply to Clueless.
Posted by: Buzz | 2006/04/10

Jacqui, I started using Cipralex 2 weeks ago, and am feeling so much better! However, I'm having sleeping problems as well. The last 4 mornings, I was wide awake at 02h30!!!

Reply to Buzz