Question
Posted by: Lientjie | 2008/07/10

CIPRALEX 10MG AND PREGNANCY

I've been on Cipralex 10mg for almost a year, which has helped me a lot with anxiety and emotional problems. Me and my hubby have decided in January 2008 to try for a baby, but my doctor advised me to stop the antidepressants as soon as possible. I haven't been taking the antidepressants for almost 5 months (I've been taking herbal drops as prescribed by my doctor - it doesn't help at all). My relationships with people has deteriorated.

Can I take the above-mentioned antidepressant while trying for a baby, and while pregnant?

Haven't I responded to an extremely similar version of this question within the last day or so ? You HAVE to see your own psychiatrist / doctor as soon as possible to discuss this in detail, as only he can take all the relevant facttors into account. If the Cipralex ( the inexplicably popular drug used by too many GPS ) was given only for anxiety and emotional problems, which would probably have responded better and lastingly to CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) it should be safe to stop, as one should not remain on it long term if it is not being used for significant Dwepression. NO form of herbal drops are of the remotest benefit in treating depression or anxiety, so you may as well stop those. Things like problems with relationships with people are important and significant. but will NEVER EVER respond to taking drugs --- ONLY CBT or similar counselling can help with that sort of problem --- if it is not chemical in origin, it won't have a chemical solution.
So I'm not sure why you would need to remain on Cipralex. While it wouldn't be likely to affect your fertility, it is best to avoid such meds where posible and practical, when pregnant, and of course it could take a while to recognize that you are pregnant