Question
Posted by: Melanie | 2007/03/30

Cilift / having a baby

I have been on Cipralex for the past 6 months. I have now been put on Cilift. My question is:

My fiance and i are getting married next year and plan to start a family straight away, we have been together for the past 13 years........How long must i be off the pills before we start? or is it safe in pregnancy?

Melanie

Hi Melanie,
Cilift is very similar to Cipralex, and should suit you just as well. But I'd think it would be wise to see your doc again for re-assessment as you get closer to the wedding date, as by then you may not need to be on any antidepressant at all. While docs aren;t eager to recommend that anyone stay on ANY med unnecessarily when pregnant, a number of drugs are essential and can't be stopped, and others are recognized to be safe. With depression, one has to balance the risks of an untreated Depression with the risks ( which appear to be very small at most ) of the newer antidepressants.

1
Posted by: Joy | 2007/03/30

Melanie, try the pregnancy support group...the link is on the left side..

Reply to Joy