Posted by: Me! | 2012/01/31

Cilift &  pregnancy

Okay so this message is on behalf of someone that does not have access to help at the moment.

She was on Cilift before she fell pregnanct. When she confirmed her pregnancy then she stopped the Cilift. Since then she has had a relapse and has been extremely emotionally unstable. Along with this she has been having a very hard time emotionally with a lot of changes happening in her life. Her gynea advised that she should go back on the Cilift asap due to her relapse, so she did. She has been getting extreme headaches since then and has therefore only taken it about 3 times in the last week. She is hesitant to continue with the Cilift due to her baby. Is the cilift safe during pregnancy? And what effects will this have on her baby? Will the baby have withdrawel? Any advice would be appreciated.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

This is actually a very complex quesion, which can only be usefully decided by a detailed consultation betwen the woman and her shrink who knows her psych history, previous and current meds, and can help her make a wise decision.
Over-all, though there are some riks to the baby from many different drug a woman might take dring pregnancy, including antidepressants, and some produce higher risks than others ( and the exent of risk may vary according to the particular stage of pregnancy ) there are also sigificant risks to the mother AND baby from letting a significant depression or bipolar disorder go untreated. So the judgement has to be a balance f risks.
But taking just a few of the drugs is the worst of both worlds, as it may still produce a risk, but can't produce a benefit.
ALso, CBT type counselling / psychotherapy can be really effective in treating depression, with no risk at all. Her gynae or shrink can advise on specific risks to the baby ; withdrawal problems are not usually what causes concern.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.