Posted by: Tia | 2009/08/28

Chronic PMS

Dear Cyberdoc

I am pretty sure that I have a hormonal imbalance but I don' t have the money to do thousands of rands of expensive tests which my doctor told me it would cost. Test for peri-menopause is negative.

I have it so very badly it has cost me my relationship, its going to cost me my job (mood swings) and during my period its a nightmare for me and everyone I come into contact with.

I tried Nordette (no help), now starting Yasmin which did help a bit, but I was bleeding erratically. But I am also doing that on the Nordette so will be back on Yasmin shortly. Tried Evening Primrose and they have me on Cymbalta 60mg per day. It does not help for it at all.

I have seen a therapist and they don' t seem too worried about it. Gynae check-up was normal and he was only interested in why I had not had babies. I feel like I am going crazy and I get panic attacks during my period. I' m 43.

Where on earth do I get help for this?

Is there a special anti-depressant made especially for this condition? My pharmacist told me there is a condition woman can get but not much can help.

First of all, how would I get a diagnosis and secondly, what can I do to help myself?

Nothing helps - not chamomile tea, not the anti-depressant, not exercise, not eating this or that. Its just getting worse and worse.

I was even prepared to have a full hysterectomy but the hormones remain so I can' t see the point really.

I am also sensitive to supplements so I have to be careful what I take.

Thanks and regards

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc


Unfortunately, you will have to have a full hormonal screen done. For the anxiety, you try can try Cilift (an anti-depressant and anxiety control) with Ativan SL 1mg, twice daily when needed during menstruation. This tablet will smooth your mood out, when you are very anxious. It can however cause drowsiness and sleepiness.


Dr Anrich Burger

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.