Question
Posted by: renè | 2007/05/21

chronic pain in ankly

I broke my (R)ankle when I was 6 yrs old, but didn't know it at the time. The doctor I saw then, said it was a sprain. Since then, i've had ankle problems. at 25yrs, my ankle gave more pain than it used & i saw a dr. xrays showed that the tip of my (R) ankle bone, on the outer side, had broken off. an orthopaedic surgeon removed the piece of bone in 2005 & reconstructed the ligaments. a year later, i still had pain. a sonar showed some mild inflammation around the permanent stitches. the surgeon removed those stitches in 2006. needless to say, after both operations, i went through extended physiotherapy as well as bio-kinetics. now, i still experience pain in the ankle on a daily basis. i've had 2 cortisone injections in the ankle, which haven't helped at all. the pain is situated just below the ankle bone, as well as behind the ankle, above the left side of my heel. sometimes there is pain in my knee too. my question is: Why the pain? and what can be done about it?

Hallo Rene
You may have injured the nerve that runs along that area or have a nerve entrapment
See http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_report.cfm?Thread_ID=337&topcategory=
Maybe get a second opinion from a neurologist?