Question
Posted by: Paulie | 2007/07/12

Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease

My father aged 76 was in hospital for a week with pneumonia, he also has enphysema. When he was released the doctor's diagnosis was the above. Is there any diet which could help treat this disease or is there only medication? When he was discharged he was given: Pulmison x 4, Ecotrin x 30, Dasix x 30, Avelon x 3, Symbicord, Duovent & danoxin x 30. He must go back to his doctor next week but I just wondered about the diet.

Paulie

Dear Paulie
COPD is degeneration of the elasticity of the small bubbles or alveoli in the lung you use to breathe. Diet won't help to improve this but eating wrong may add other problems like hyper cholesterolemia and heart problems that may worsen his condition as he does not have a lot of lung reserve. I would suggest that he eats a low fat, high fibre diet like the one the heart foundation suggest.