Question
Posted by: Tash | 2004/01/19

Chronic Medication vs. Pregnancy

We are planning to fall pregnant this year. As I am a very organised person, there is a structured plan into this. I have made an appointment with my Gynae, but the first I can see him is on the 9th of Feb. I am on chronic medication for asthma and allergies. For asthma I am on Flixotide 250 accuhaler, twice a day, and for the allergies I am on Flixonase also twice a day. On both the info slips of the medication the following is said about pregnancy and lactation:
Safety during pregnancy and lactation has not been established. Corticosteriods have been shown to be teratogenic in animals. As these agents are absorbed when inhaled (asthma pump) or absorbed intra-nasally (nose spray) teratogenicity cannot be excluded. I want to ask my gynae these questions but what happens if I fall pregnant before and all these risks that is involved with my medication? Please explain to me what this means and what the real dangers are and how common the dangers can be.

Many women have asthma and take these medications. The risks to the fetus are small. Chronic steroid use can sometimes cause a drop off in growth, but this is uncommon. In general, it is safer to continue the medication than to have uncontrolled asthma which can be worse for the fetus.