Question
Posted by: Sandy | 2007/04/03

Chronic insomnia

I am desperate. I haven't slept in months. It may even be almost a year. A few months ago, I visited my local GP and he ran a battery of blood tests and there seemed to be nothing wrong. He did say that my pituatry gland seemed to be producing higher levels of TSH, which he said may indicate that my thyroid may becoming under active and i should check it regularly. this however, did not explain my chronic insomnia. He suggested that it may be a mental problem and wanted to prescribe anti-depressants. I assured him, it is not. Mentally, I am fine, with all the normal stresses of life, but nothing unusual or unmanageable. I consider myself to be emotionally intelligent enough to be able kow if I have mental problems and know how to deal with them.

I then saw my trusty homeopath who discovered a virus in my liver and said that insomnia is a symptom of liver problems. he gave me remedies to fix the problem. A few month later I returned because though I seemed to be sleeping a bit better, it still wasn't right. He found worms in my liver and said that they may have caused the virus in the first place and gave me the necessary remedies.

It's a month later now and I still cannot sleep. I can't even fall asleep, and when I do, I sleep so lightly that the slightest sound wakes me and then I can't go back to sleep.

I am not depressed. In fact, I have a wonderful life and despite a few current discomforts associated with the challenges of starting my own exciting business and scaling down my standard of living in order to achieve my life goals, I am well adjusted mentally. I don't lie awake at night with worries about money or the business. Mostly, I have some irritating song in my head. but i have a very calm clear vision about my life, my goals, my future and I am very positive at heart.

I think my problem is physiological and not mental. But what, on earth could it be. Is there something in my brain that is not functioning properly. I have checked my thyroid and it is fine. the fact that I can't sleep is now becoming depressing. I can't fathom it and I don't know where else to look for answers. Most websites site depression, stress, anxiety etc as causes of acute insomnia. But I can honestly say that I am in good spirits mentally and have a very good support base, so those explanations are not helping me. I dont want to have to take sleeping pills every night to sleep. It is not going to solve the problem.

Can you help. Or refer me to an expert in this field. I am sure that I would be an interesting case to study.

thanks. i look forward to hearing from you.

sandy

Dear Sandy
Although you are not depressed or anxious, you may have a "mental block" re sleeping now!
See http://www.well.com/~mick/insomnia/
If you were my patient I would put you on a children's dose of Tryptanol at night for a week or two to just get you into a routine again.
Insomnia is usually treated by psychiatrists - and that does not implicate that you need one - just that they are the experts.