Question
Posted by: Marisa | 2003/03/23

chronic depression

I am on Cypramil for the last 8 years. I normally drink 1 capsule per day. In winter I get depressed and have to drink 2 capsules per day. After 5 months I normally go back to 1 capsule a day. I tried twice to get off Cypramil totally but have to get back on it after 3 months. Do you think it is wise for me to get off. I am drinking only a half tablet a day for 3 weeks now. I feel quilty and dependant on a tablet. My doctor once said that I suffered from Seasonal Depression. Please give me advice.

Dear Marisa,
Obviously this is something you will want to discuss with your own doctor in far more detail than we have room for here.
Some people's Depressions have a Seasonal rhythm to them ; often getting worse during Winter, and improving with Spring and Summer ; though other patterns are posible. In cases of chronic Depression, where it has been difficult to get full control of the Depression, or where it has recurred so one has sufered several episodes, it is common expert practice to recommend that one stay on antidepressant medication in the long term.
This may have disadvantages, such as cost, but is usually far more comfortable ( and cheaper ! ) than sufering repeated severe attacks of depression, each needing treatment in their own right.
But please do not feel "guilty" for being "dependent" on a tablet. If you had diabetes, you would not, I hope, feel guiltym for being "dependent" on insulin --- it'd perhaps be easier to recognize that this was a natural and reasonable supplement of your own relative chemical lack ( in that case, of insulin ) so as to enable you to remain well and otherwise healthy while continuing to have an enduring underlying disorder. Those of us with chronic arthritis sufer chronic pain, and need to accept a life-long need to take medications to reduce the inflammation and pain, so we can function relatively normally. It's disappointing, perhaps, compared with being able to live free from the impact of any bodily or chemical flaws, but it's an awful lot better than refusing to use medications and suffering those consequences.

3
Posted by: Felipo | 2003/03/26

It's painful to see someone you love relapsing only after a few months from taking their medication because they thought they are cured. They then have to start all over again with stronger medication that make them sleep all day long and forget almoost everything. I don't know much about depression but what I know is that you don't have to be ashamed of it.

Reply to Felipo
Posted by: Been there........... | 2003/03/25

Hi Marisa

I am going to agree with the Doc wholeheartedly! I was on Effexor. I started with a half tablet once a day and built up to a 75mg slow-release capsule. Things went well, I felt better and my anxiety attacks, along with my depression, was greatly reduced. My response? I stopped the medication! I know have to start the whole process again and am suffering all the same symptoms. Medication is not the end of the world. They say one only seeks help when the cure is better than the symptoms of your problem. Good luck.

Reply to Been there...........
Posted by: Marisa | 2003/03/24

Dear Doctor,
Thank you so much for your advice. I prayed about this and I accept the fact now that I have to carry on with cypramil. Thanks for your professional answer.
Marisa

Reply to Marisa