Posted by: Sloslo | 2008/11/27

chronic cough or what?

I have been caughing for months now, this is the second year this is happening, I caugh for about 4 months non stop and it subsides for maybe two then it comes back again. I do smoke but now maybe 4 a day and am on the road to quiting coz I started gym as well.this is frustrating especially at dawn around 2-4 and before I sleep.I am HIV positive and not sure if maybe this is a start of something serious.have been on X-rays but my lungs and all is fine according to doctors, no medicine helps.anything I should be asking my doc to look at?please there such thing as chronic cough?what causes it and what helps?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageArchive

Hi there

Yes, there is such a thing as chronic cough, but some thing has to be causing it. An infection or an allergy, for example. Finding the cause is obviously the answer, but this is often easier said than done.

One of the most common causes of a cough (in the absence of any infection of the upper or lower respiratory tract) is an allergy. Common allergins include dairy and wheat products and the pollens and grasses.

Try excluding the dairy and wheat for 7 days and see if that helps. The inhaled allergins are more difficult to manage because they are everywhere! There are some over the counter homeopathic pollen and grass de sensitising products that you could try as well. These usually do take longer to have an effect though.

Occasionally medications can have cough as a side effect. If you are taking ANY medication at all check the package insert to determine if a cough may be one of the side effects.

Being HIV + does mean that your immune system may not be offering you complete protection against all the 'bugs' we are subjected to and this too may be part of the problem.

If your doctor has ruled out and medical causes, then I would suggest consulting with a Homeopath.


The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.