Question
Posted by: Vince | 2002/12/04

Chronic Cough

Past 4 years have been having a chronic cough. Every day, every minute I cough. Not a loud "wet" cough, a small irretating cough - almost like a "hick-up". My GM did a test on my lungs and it showed that there is no problems with it. I then went for a G-scope and they noticed that I have a Hernia and Anti-Reflux. I am 24 years old and together with my cough, I had heartburn everyday aswell. . . As soon as I started drinking or eating in the morning, I started having heartburn. I lived off "Rennies" / "Gavascon".
I went for the Hiaertis Hernia and Anti-Reflux Operation in May 2002. Since then I have never had heartburn again. That part of the story is wonderfull.
My GP gathered that once I have done my Operation, my throat would gradually heal and my coughing would go away. At that point in time we though that the cause for my cough was due to the fact that my throat was badly "damaged" due to all the heartburn . . . . Now after the Operation, 7 months later, I still have this cough . . .
What could possibly be the problem, what other avenues could be explored. I am a "social" smoker and have even given that up for a good couple month, which didn't work either.
Pleas help me with suggestions.
Thank you,

Vince

Vince, there was nothing wrong with your GP deductions. But now that the hernia has been repaired we will have to focus our attentions on the lungs again. If you first want to try medicine before you see a lung specialist, the best would be to get a Seretide® accuhaler and use it twice a day until it’s finished. If the coughing stops, fine. If it stops, but returns soon after having finished the medicine, you probably have asthma and you should see a pulmonologist. If it doesn’t stop at all you will of course also have to see a pulmonologist. Good luck.