Question
Posted by: Bronchy | 2008/07/22

Chronic Bronchitis - Mom?

Hi Cyberdoc

My mom coughs incessantly (intermittantly for about 30 sec - 1 min) at any time during the day or night. Her doctor has let have a full blood count, chest x-ray, went to heart specialist, treats her for reflux and Tzietse syndrome. She coughed before this and after (like all of 4 years now) with no explanation, except maybe an allergy. She stopped smoking about 5 years ago. She says since she stopped the coughing started.

She does have chronic conditons (quite a lot) I' m afraid and gets Bronchitis easily. Do you know what it could be or what tests she should have additionally. I am Asthmatic and we live in the same house, wherever she has been she coughs.

Diabetes - takes Metformin
Hypertension - various tabs
Reflux - Altosec
Depression - Cilift (only for past 6m)
Tzietse - much better now.

Other than this she enjoys good health and is active, but does have joint pains. We joke about her " health box"  which has her chronic meds in it.

I am worried about her though, the coughing is violent and not stoppable for the duration of the " attack" . She has had lots of different kinds of cough syrups and lozenges, nothing helps.
She is 66.

Any ideas Doc?

Bronchy

Hi Bronchy
1. It could be an allergy, it may be worth while to have an IgE blood test and if high, to try an identify cause and treat with antihistamines.
2. Some anti-hypertension tabs (ACE inhibitors or beta blockers) can cause cough as a side effect - so see if there is any connection?
3. some forms of Asthma presents with a cough so a lung function test may be useful
4. a chronic post nasal drip needs to be excluded
Try a cough suppressant like Phensedyl for the cough if you haven't already?