Question
Posted by: chronic pain | 2008/01/25

Chronic back, shoulder and head pain

I am a 23 year old female with the following symptoms:
1. Chronic pain in my right shoulder/upper right part of my back.
2. On "bad days" (1 or 2 days a week) this extends up the right side of my neck and also gives an incredibly painful headache, also only on the right side. Only sleep cures this.
3. About once every 3-4 months I develop numbness in my right arm for a bout 2-3 days, then it goes away again.
4. I have noticed that I have a round bald patch at the bottom of my head (about 2-3cm up from where the hair starts at top of neck) - I don't know if this is connected.

This has been going on for about 4.5 yrs now. I saw a GP who prescribed anti-inflammatory and physiotherapy. The physio said she suspected damage to the nerves around my 4th vertebra. I could not afford to continue indefinitely with anti-flams and physio. More recently I saw a "body stress release" practitioner, but that didn't help at all.

Affordable advice please!

Expert ImageChiroDoc

I would recommend consulting a good chiropractor - who in all probability will require x/rays f your neck and upper thoracic spine. You need to get down to the root of the problem and not just have the symptoms treated.