Question
Posted by: Grandad | 2005/12/01

chromo somal defect

My daughter is 32 yrs old and has a girl now 4 years old. She has lost her 3rd baby. Problem diagnosed was chromo somal defect. what is this? can this be solved for next time?

Dear Granddad,
A Chromosomal defect is a inborn defect in the genes ( or chromosomes) of the baby. Your daugter could not prevent this, but it can be tested ordiagnosed early in the pregnancy with amniocenthesis ( where they draw out a little bit of the fluid around the baby) and the pregnancy ended if the mother decides not to proceed with the pregnancy or if the gynecologist thinks that the baby will be very abnormal. Not all her babies will necessarily be affected and I would suggest that you ask for a referral to a gynecologist that specializes in these types of problems. The academic hospitals have special clinical departments to help parents who lost babies due to this problem before (called Genetics) where they can be tested and assisted if possible to have a normal baby.