Question
Posted by: Honey | 2004/11/16

Chromium

Pls advise: I am a healthy 31 yr old female with a BMI of 23, mother to a 16 month old. I would like to loose around 5kg which will put me at an ideal BMI. I am following your balanced diet and have starting jogging for 30 min 5 x a week and doing 50 sit ups as all my fat is in my stomach. I just bought a magnesium and chromium supplement (in one) and would like to start taking this as i believe chromium helps speed weight loss (true?) I also like the benefit of it controlling sugar cravings which i tend to have whenever i start exercising. It states on the box that you should take 2 twice a day after meals. It then says that for each daily dose the chromium is equal to 300 mcg. I assume this means if you take the 4 tablets it will be 600 mcg a day. Is this not too much in chromium? A pharmacist told me you dont need more that 150mcg of it a day? Please let me know if I should reduce to 1 or maybe 2 tablets a day. I would not like to overdose of ANY vitamin especially one I have not taken before. What would the side effects be of an overdose of chrom and magnesium?

Thanks for your time, your are the BEST on this site!

Dear Honey
I applaud your sensible approach to dieting. Just remember that the ideal BMI for women is 22, so you may not have to lose 5 kg, but this depends on your height. I agree with the pharmacist that you do not need more chromium than 150-200 mcg Maximum. Chromium does help with weight loss and sugar cravings, so I would only take 1 tablet (150 mcg?) a day. Chromium is one of the trace elements and overdosing could cause toxicity. A small amount has a positive effect while an excessive amount can be harmful.
Thank you for your kind words - they make my day.
Keep up the good work

1
Posted by: B | 2004/11/16

The only benefit of Chromium that I know of is that it supresses apetite.

Reply to B