Question
Posted by: me | 2007/11/27

Chorophobia - Fear of dancing

I have done some digging to find out why it is whenever im at a club or party, and someone asks me to dance I have this sudden fear of dancing and my heart begins to beat faster and I become nauseous etc. Finally found out that it's Chorophobia or fear of dancing.

I have looked and can't seem to find a cure for this. If anyone knows of a cure or what might help, I would appreciate it.

Back decades ago some people with time on their hands came up with a large number of fancy words describing every type of phobia they could think of --- and the exercise isn't really useful. Basically, one needs to recognize that you're describing a Phobic Anxiety Disorder, and the treatment for that would apply. The few varieties where there's some value in specifying sub-types would be agoraphobia, and social anxiety disorder, and there's a flavour on that in your complaint, too. I wonder whether this is genuinely a fear of dancing ( if you danced all by yourself, alone in a room, would you feel bad ? ) so much as a social phobic fear of standing out in a crowd, standing up in front of other people and doing something that might make people look at you --- and assuming that they would somehow find fault with you ?
All these phobias respond well to treatment of two types. Some medications also used to treat depression can help, and so does CBT, Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, a form of talking treatment

3
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/09/17

How common is chorophobia

Posted by: anon | 2007/11/27

LOL Help on the way, drinking a lot might be the precursor for a whole new phobia, like being sick, falling, tripping, being out of control.

I think its more of a social phobia, like perhaps thinking if people are judging/criticising/looking/what are they thinking, etc. making a fool of oneself or fear of that amongst others.

What is it that makes the fear of dancing......was it something that happened in the past regarding dancing? Any recollection of people or a person criticisng the way of dancing.... etc.

Perhaps fear of being out of control, dancing can be a form of expression, letting go, moving ones body rhythmically, an artform, etc. Perhaps inhibitions or shyness, lack of self confidence and self esteem.

You need to ask yourself WHEn, WHY, HOW, WHAT caused this phobia....

Reply to anon
Posted by: help on the way | 2007/11/27

Hi me,

do a search on www dot google dot co dot za for
"cure for Chorophobia" and there are loads of info for you.

First time I eva heard of a fear for dancing. I honest opinion is to drink a lot and then you won't worry to much and might like the dancing thing.

Reply to help on the way