Question
Posted by: pienkie | 2004/11/09

choose sex - ivf

I am going for ivf soon and was just wondering if you can choose the sex of the baby - we have a boy and my husband would love a little girl - does it cost a lot extra?
We would be happy with whatever is given to us - but for hubbies sake I was just wondering

Golly and Nix are right. Discuss it with your IVF doctor.

2
Posted by: Nix | 2004/11/09

I know the X & Y sperm can be separated but am also not sure of the success rate. Ask your fertility specialist.

Good luck!
Love
Nix

Reply to Nix
Posted by: Golly | 2004/11/09

Pienkie,

I think it is possible to treat the sperm to 'separate' the X and Y carrying sperm to some extent. However, I do no think this method can guarantee you get the sex of the baby right - it just increase your chances of having a specific gender.

Consult with the reproductuve specialist doing your IVF, they would be able to tell you the success rate and additional costs.

Good luck!

Reply to Golly