Question
Posted by: sue | 2005/06/07

chondromalacia

If the broke cartilege is going to be "shaved" like the dr said, will i be able to use my knee as normal again? (eg tennis, cycling, hiking). Isn't my knee supposed to have cartilege to function?

If i decide on not having the operation now and try to strenghten the muscles by way of exercising, will i have worse problems later? i am only 40 years old and my knees are sounding like Pinnochio's
I also read about using glucosamine supplements...Can it really repair cartilege?

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Sue
Your doctor is the only one who really knows the extent of your problem and why he wants to do an operation- if there is loose cartilege chips in the knee and he wants to shave off some of the cartilege, you will probably be as good as new after the operation- this does not mean that you should be jumping from trees and falling on your knees! I have no personal experience with glucosamine supplements, but patients using it has only good things to say about it (better mobility, less Pinochio sounds etc).
Regarding exercise being an option- please discuss with your doctor. As I said in my previous response- exercise helped quite a number of people- I cannot answer as everybody is an individual.