Question
Posted by: lynneo | 2007/03/29

cholestrol

Good day,
Please be so kind as to provide me with a diet for my husband (who has cholesterol level of 7.5 and is on chronic medication) and he has been told his uric acid level is slightly elevated. I find that some of the foods he may eat on the cholesterol diet conflict with uric acid diet sheet. i.e. oats for breakfast. What can he have for breakfast? Secondly, what for a packed lunch (he is a sales rep) and for dinner we have fish, chicken and vegetables and thereafter a fruit each with a glass of red wine at dinner. My husband is 55 years old and goes to gym every single day. He drinks 2 litres of water per day. My husband is a non-smoker.

I too have cholestrol (albeit 5.7 reading) and have to go on chronic medication for this too. I eat wheatbix for breakfast with fat free milk and drink 6 - 8 glasses of water per day. I eat the same as he does for dinner. Am battling with lunchbox for us both. I am on OESTEO EEZE GOLD for degeneration in my spine and have a degenerative disease in my neck - my bone density test states my hips are fine though. I find too that my hair is falling out when I wash it but suspect it could be stress. I am 52 years old and go to gym 3 times a week. I am presently a smoker but am going to a seminar (ALLENCARR EASYWAY) on Saturday to stop smoking. I do not take any medication for hormones and had a hysterectomy when I was 22 but have my ovaries.

Thanks in advance and I appreciate this as am getting very frustrated trying to combine our meals so that I only need to cook one type of food for a particular meal.

thanks,
lo

Dear Lynneo
In this type of a situation where there are two people with divergent conditions in the household and each individual also has multiple problems (your hubby has cholesterol and uric acid problems, and you suffer from increased cholesterol and osteoporosis), it is essential for you to a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to work out a diet prescription for the two of you that takes all these factors into account. This not something I can do for you over the Internet. The dietitian will also give you guidelines for packed lunches.
So do see a dietitian ASAP