Question
Posted by: lynn | 2007/03/07

cholestrol

Good day,
Please be good enough to send me a diet for my husband who has been diagnosed with cholestrol of around 7.
He is a sales rep and does not usually eat breakfast but I've not insisted he has Oats for breakfast. He will also have lots of water during the day. What do I give him for lunch on the road and for dinner when he gets home?
Do you have a list of what he is not allowed to eat and what he can eat?
I thank you in advance.

Secondly, I'm on diet to lose a bit of weight. I'm eating a boiled egg for breakfast with a slice of toast and a scraping of flora; fruit salad for lunch, 8 glasses of water per day and fish or chicken with either a salad or two vegetables per day. Am I doing this correctly?

Dear Lynn
It is important that your husband should obtain an individual diet prescription for his high cholesterol levels and for this he needs to see a clinical dietitian. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. If your husband suffers from high cholesterol, then you would need to lower his intakes of total fat, saturated fat and cholesterol. To lower his cholesterol levels basically you will have to use a diet that is low in total fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol, and high in dietary fibre and protective nutrients - this entails eating plenty of fruit and vegetables, low-fat milk and dairy products, very lean meat, fish, only 4 eggs per week and only mono- or polyunsaturated margarine or oil (this is where you can use olive oil in normal quantities). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a low-fat, high-fibre diet - if your husband does not need to lose any weight you can use larger portions of the permitted foods, but he should otherwise stick to the portion sizes. You need to check the foods you buy in the supermarket - compare the total fat content of say standard Vienna sausages and that of Low-fat or Lean Viennas - if the latter still contain more than 5g of fat per 100g, then it is better to avoid them. Rather use less processed food, e.g. cook chicken without skin and without added fat (grill or boil in a stew), to have greater control of the fat content than when you eat processed foods. He can also use omega-3 fatty acids (Salmon oil capsules - buy at chemist) to reduce blood cholesterol and try Flora pro-activ which contains plant sterols to lower blood cholesterol (most supermarkets sell this type of margarine). For additional articles, click on 'Diet' and 'You are what you eat' and read the 'Healthy Heart' section. Your slimming diet is reasonable, but try to add 3 cups of fat-free yoghurt or milk to it to provide the 1000 mg of calcium a day that adult women need for healthy bones. You should both not drink more than 2 litres of water a day in addition to other liquids as excessive water intake can cause electrolyte imbalances. Moderation is the key!

2
Posted by: E van Niekerk | 2007/03/07

I want to know what to eat for cholestrol

Reply to E van Niekerk
Posted by: E van Niekerk | 2007/03/07

please send me a diet for Cholestrol

Reply to E van Niekerk