Question
Posted by: LIZETTE | 2004/11/11

cholestrol

could you pse send me a list of cholestrol low/high foods?

do you have a newsletter for cholestrol?

is there a superspecialist in cholestrol? can you give me a reference where to go?

or a super specialist dietician - in cholestrol?

or what else can you recommend for my lifestyle if i don't take medication and rather eat right?

hope to hear from you

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Lizette,
Your concern about cholesterol is a good thing, and informing yourself about the subject is the most important step.

I suggest that you firstly arrange with your doctor for a full fasting lipogram, which will give you a clear idea of your cholesterol status and risk profile. You need to know this "starting point" cholesterol level. If your level is very high, then you may need to help you body bring the level down, by using prescription cholesterol-lowering medication. Lifestyle changes are always worthwhile, whether or not you need medication. There is so much information about cholesterol, that I cannot include everything you want to know in this reply, so I suggest that you visit the Cholesterol section on our Health24 website. Specifically, a list of cholesterol contents can be obtained from the Heart Foundation of South Africa.

If you have a family history of cholesterol or heart problems, I would also suggest that you contact the Cardiology department of your nearest academic hospital, (eg Groote Schuur, Tygerberg in the Cape) as they will have special departments for cholesterol patients, and will be able to refer you to a specialist dietician for further advice.

HeartDoc

1
Posted by: aggie | 2005/02/14

Ive been taking a thyroid tablet to reduce my weight not
because of thyroid problems , I also have been forgetting to
take my cholestrol tablet which I should take daily and Ive
been taking maby 1 a week when I remember. Would me
taking thyroid tablet cause my cholestrol to shoot up to 8.2 or
is it only because Ive not been taking my daily cholestrol tablet.
Can taking the thyroid tablet cause more halm in other areas

Reply to aggie