Question
Posted by: urania | 2004/11/01

cholestorol

I am 48 years old medium height and weigh about 47Kgs. My body produces cholestorol and I am on Lepitol. I watch my diet carefully. I have been told that carrots is no good for cholestorol. Is this true and what other foods are no good

Dear Urania
Carrots are vegetables and all vegetables are excellent for someone who needs to lower cholesterol. They and all other vegetables contain practically no fat, no cholesterol, and are low in energy and dietary fibre while containing plenty of protective nutrients, so you can certainly eat carrots, but they do contain a lot of beta-carotene (a type of vitamin), which can build up in the body causing side-effects such as your skin turning yellow. Eat carrots in moderation and not every day in vast quantities.
To lower your cholesterol levels you basically will have to eat a diet that is low in total fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol, and high in dietary fibre and protective nutrients - this entails eating plenty of fruit and vegetables, low-fat milk and dairy products, very lean meat, fish, only 4 eggs per week and only mono- or polyunsaturated margarine or oil (this is where you can use olive oil in normal quantities). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a low-fat, high-fibre diet - if you don't need to lose any weight you can use larger portions of the permitted foods, but should otherwise stick to the portion sizes. You need to check the foods you buy in the supermarket - compare the total fat content of say standard Vienna sausages and that of Low-fat or Lean Viennas - if the latter still contain more than 5g of fat per 100g, then it is better to avoid them. Rather use less processed food, e.g. cook chicken without skin and without added fat (grill or boil in a stew), to have greater control of the fat content than when you eat processed foods. You can also use omega-3 fatty acids (Salmon oil capsules - buy at chemist) to reduce blood cholesterol and try Flora pro-activ which contains plant sterols to lower blood cholesterol (most supermarkets sell this type of margarine). For additional articles, click on 'Diet' and 'You are what you eat' and read the 'Healthy Heart' section.

1
Posted by: Jack | 2004/11/04

Aargh! A diet that is extremely low in fat is horrendous for your endocrine system. You will damage you adrenals for sure.

The worst fats are the polyunsaturated fats. The modern diet is so unbalanced in favour of the Omega-6 fatty acids that it is positively the biggest health risk factor for most people.

To get your lipids into balance, you need Omega-3 fatty acids. Cod-liver oil is the best source for these. You need DHA and EPA essential fatty acids.

Margarine? Ha! Even the soft, tub margarines are full of trans-fats. These are produced by hydrogenating the vegetable oil to make it solid at room temperature. The food industry calls the process "plasticization", and trans fats are, in fact, one molecule away from being an actual plastic. Try putting margarine out in the open in a cool place. The flies, ants and -|- roaches don't touch the stuff, and it has a shelf life from now till the next millennium. What natural, healthy food behaves like that?

I assume that you have familial hypercholesterolaemia? Much of the advice that you'll get from conventional medicine is not reliable. I'm sorry to say this, but the average GP is working as a drug pusher for the pharmaceutical companies.

Have a look at a couple of websites by people that know the subject well. Start with www (dot) westonaprice.org and www (dot) mercola.com

You can also read a book by Dr Uffe Ravnskov called "The Cholesterol Myths" online at http://www (dot)ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm

Reply to Jack