Question
Posted by: desi | 2004/11/09

CHOLESTEROL Verses HOMOCYSTEIN

Can you tell me what is the difference between Cholesterol readings of blood & Homocystein readings of blood.?
I had my Homocystein checked and my reading came back at 10.25. which is extremely high and in the danger zone.
I then decided to have my cholesterol checked and the reading came back at 5.2.
How can these readings be so different, and which one can I believe.?

Desi, homocysteine is a marker of cardiovascular disease just like cholesterol is. The one can be high irrespective of the other, but they are often both increased. You will still have to do something about the raised homocysteine and keep an eye on the cholesterol. Good luck.