Question
Posted by: Ody | 2003/02/20

Cholesterol and Diverticulosis

Dear Doctor
Would you please let me know what diet I should follow to lower my cholesterol. Apparently the triglycerides are too high. I also had and ultrasound for abdominal pain, and the result was a tendency towards diverticulosis. I am on medication to try and clear it. If no results, the possibility is a colonoscopy. Please let me know what to expect when this is done, and also please let me know which are high-fibre foods.

Many thanks

Ody

Dear Ody
To lower your triglyceride and cholesterol levels you need to eat a high-fibre, low-fat diet and to cut out all processed carbohydrates. The high-fibre diet will also help for the diverticulosis. If you have to go for a colonoscopy you will be given a very-low-residue diet and strong laxatives to use for a dew days before the procedure to clean out the bowel. The dr will then give you a muscle relaxant and gently insert a scope into the bowel so that he can 'see' the condition of the intestines. This is not anything to be scared of and it makes it possible for he dr to make a rapid and thorough diagnosis. Click on 'Diet' and 'View old Diet & Food site' and read all the articles on low-fat foods and high-fibre.