Posted by: Talita | 2009/01/19


Hi, I am currently studying Dietetics at Potchefstroom University. I am very insulin resistant with blood sugar rising to 14 if I don' t use my glucophage. I also have a hormone imbalance and am on Marvelon for that aswell as PCOS. Never in my life have I lost a single kg even while running 6km daily and eating very well, small balanced meals. I cannot improve my diet - I don' t use any sugar, stay far away from saturated and trans fats, I take Salmon oil and evening primrose oil - this is my main source of visible fat. I love fresh fruit and veggies, and I love seafood. I never overeat. And I love green tea and hot foods with curry etc, and cayenne pepper. My cholesterol is 6.3 - what can I do, every doctor says diet, but like what? I enjoy a little bit of avocado from time to time, and olive or canola but I don' t use any fat/oil excessively.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Talita
If you are studying at Potchefstroom, then I would recommend that you take all your blood test results to your lecturers and say to them: "Here I am, one of your dietetics students and I suffer from IR, PCOS and raised cholesterol despite exercising, taking omega-3 FAs and not overeating! What do you, as my lecturers, recommend?" They should do a diet history for you to determine your kJ and fat intake. This will give them an idea if you need to reduce your energy intake and how much exercise you require to start losing. I reckon they will also put you on a low-GI diet. If this does not help, then you may require products like Xenical to help you lower your fat intake even more (both to lose weight and reduce the cholesterol). You are at one of the best Departments of Human Nutrition with a whole range of experts who will be able to assist you, so tap into their knowledge. Tell them I send my best regards.
Best regards to you - hope they can sort this problem out for you.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.