Question
Posted by: sean | 2007/03/09

cholesterol

I asked recently for the normal limits of HDL and LDL cholestoral and triglyceride, hoping for units that are normally used by doctors. My readings for cholestoral are HDL 1,0 and LDL 2,9 which do not appear to be in the range that you provided. My triglyceride reading is about 1,6

Please can you assist (I think it may be in mmol/litre - what is the conversion ?)

Sean

For cholesterol a value of less than 200 mg/dL is desirable. Levels over 240 mg/dL may put you at almost twice the risk of heart disease as someone with a level less than 200 mg/dL. High LDL cholesterol levels may be the best predictor of risk of heart disease. If you have known heart disease, peripheral vascular disease (blockages in the blood vessels of the extremities), or diabetes, your LDL cholesterol should be below 100 mg/dL. If you have 2 or more heart-disease risk factors (smoking, high blood pressure, low HDL, a family history of heart disease, are a man over 45 or woman over 55), your LDL should be below 130 mg/dL. If you have none or 1 of the risk factors listed, your LDL cholester ol should be below 160. HDL cholesterol levels more than or equal to 60 mg/dL will take away the increased risk from one risk factor and decrease your risk of heart disease. Levels below 40 mg/dL add a risk factor. Triglyceride levels are also becoming an important predictor of risk for heart disease. Even if you have low LDL and high HDL cholesterol, high triglyceride levels may put you at risk. Normal triglyceride levels are less than 150 mg/dL and can be incorrectly elevated if a 9-12 hour fast was not completed.

Expert ImageArchive

Hallo Sean
LDL Optimal: <2.60 2. Near optimal: 2.60 - 3.34 3. Borderline high:3.34 - 4.12 4. High: 4.12 - 4.90 5. very high: > 4.90
HDL :Low: < 1.04 2. High > 1.60
Trigliseride: Normal: < 1.70 2. Borderline high: 1.70 - 2.25 3. High: 2.25 - 5.64 4. Very high: > 5.64