Question
Posted by: PADDY | 2007/02/22

CHOLESTEROL

AT THE END OF OCTOBER 2006 MY CHOLESTEROL WAS 6.1, I WAS TOLD TO TAKE MEDICATION TO BRING IT DOWN. I WANTED TO RATHER DO IT ON MY OWN WITH MY DIET AND DID NOT TAKE ANY MEDICATION I HAVE JUST HAD IT TESTED AND IT IS AT 5.7 MY DOCTOR STILL WANTS ME TO TAKE MEDICATION BUT I WOULD STILL RATHER CARRY ON THE DIET ROUTE AS I FEEL IT IS ALWAYS QUICK FOR THE DOCS TO GIVE YOU MEDICATION FOR EVERYTHING.

Dear Paddy
I agree, one should not take medication if you can get by without it. Unfortunately most of us inherited bad cholesterol from our parents and the right diet can only bring it down a certain percentage. Some people just have to take cholesterol tablets too. There is no harm in trying for another 3 months but if you see that you are on a stable level and diet does not help anymore and it won't go lower than 5, you may need to take medication.