Question
Posted by: Dikkes | 2005/12/03

Cholesterol

i was recently diagnosed with a high LDL cholesterol level and a blocked artery (the ECG showed this). I also suffer from Irritable Bowel Syndrome and my gallbladder was removed a year ago. I am also in menopause but stopped using HRT due to weight-gain. Since April this year I have gained ± 20 kg and can't get rid of it. What diet would be suitable? I have been advised a low-fat intake, fruit and veggies, but is there something extra that I should do?

Dear Dikkes
Because of you have a number of different conditions that must be taken into account when working out a day, I would strongly recommend that you a clinical dietitian (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will work out a diet that takes all your medical conditions and medications into account, and also promotes weight loss. For your own sake do see a dietitian.