Question
Posted by: anxious | 2002/12/13

CHOLESTEROL

Dear CyberDoc

Thank you very much for your replies and for taking the time to find out the info for me. I was amused by your ? in the answer of the ESBL! However, your answer gives more than enough info about what I was looking for. No doubt you were referring to my Tavanic and not Taravid! (which I believe is in the quinolone category). You said the organisms are usually obtained nosomically(?). What relation would this have to my having had my infection, i.e. I couldn't have got it in hospital, I was sick before I went into hospital!

One other thing, I had a cholesterol test yesterday (Thurs) and my levels seem to have gone up quite a lot. Unfortunately I don't know my HDL,LDL, triglycerides levels, but it would seem that my LDL levels are high. What could I be doing wrong? My readings in Sep were 5 and 5.5 (beg and end Sept). I don't eat that many eggs and red meat (my GP now says I have to cut both out completely, something I would rather not do!). Is there anyway I can avoid this. I have to have another test in Jan, so I imagine he would expect my levels to have come down by then. I am also taking 20mg Lipitor, which is I presume why he seemed a bit worried.

Any advice about this would be great.

Thanks again for all your help.

Anxious, the organisms are usually acquired nosocomially, but it doesn’t mean that you can’t get it somewhere else. It you didn’t get it in a hospital there is a high suspicion that there is a kidney or bladder abnormality. Another thing you should do is to have another urine MC&S done as soon as you’ve finished the Tavanic®. You have to be sure that there isn’t a single organism left otherwise you will have to continue taking the antibiotics.
It isn’t uncommon for one’s cholesterol levels to go haywire when you have a serious disease, so I would relax about it for the moment. Wait until six months after your kidney problem has been sorted out before you start worrying about the cholesterol. The debate is still open about whether eggs are bad for your cholesterol. Most experts at this stage feel that you can have as many boiled or poached eggs as you want as long as you don’t fry them or have them with bacon or sausages, etc. You will have to cut off all the fat of your meat and stay away from mutton.
Personally, if I were you I would go on taking the Lipitor®, watch my diet and forget about the whole cholesterol thing until the kidney problem has been sorted out. Good luck.