Question
Posted by: Whooz | 2007/02/21

Cholesteatoma: Where to from here???????

Yesterday my local GP diagnosed me with this "ear infection"
I DON'T HAVE MEDICAL AID AND CANNOT AFFORD IT!!!!!!! Not the aid or the procedure.... what can I do Doc??? I have to go to specialists and surgery and I am sort of freaking out cause I can't hear anything in my right ear - almost 70% hearing loss. Can you tell me approx. how much this kind of operation costs? Do people refer to cholesteatoma as "ear-cancer?

Dear Whooz
Breathe in deeply ... this is one of the things they can treat very successfully at the ENT department of Academic hospitals - ask your doctor to write you a referral letter to the ENT department nearest to you where they will do further tests. Cholesteatoma is not an ear cancer but can be dangerous as the size can erode important structures in the ear , so don't waste any time.
See http://deafness.about.com/od/diseasesandsyndromes/a/cholesteatoma.htm