Question
Posted by: Chocoholic | 2008/06/12

Chocolate cravings

Dear Doc.
Firstly thank you for all your helpful advise to the browsers - much appreciated.

Usually it is women that crave chocolates, but being a male that craves chocolates - bit funny?Sometimes I eat up to 3 chocolate bars a day lately! I'm gluten/wheat intolerant, have a joint disease and take about once a month cortisone. I'm not overweight (BMI = 25) and started to increase my level of activity 3 weeks ago to 4 times/week of swimming (can't do physical sports that involve running because of the joint disease).

What is possibly the reason for my chocolate cravings? Is it the increased activity, cortisone meds, or me avoiding gluten containing food, now my body is trying to compensate for the loss?

Dear Chocoholic
There are many reasons why you are craving chocolates at present, as you have already mentioned - the increased activity, the cortisone and the lack of many carbohydrates in your diet because of the gluten/wheat intolerance. In addition chocolates contain certain substances that are addictive, namely phenylethylamine, serotonin, endorphins and some caffeine. If you are with a dietitian for your gluten/wheat intolerance, please consult her/him to increase the energy allowance of your diet to enable you to exercise. If you have as yet no consulted a dietitian then it is a good idea to do so (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), because you need to increase your energy intake without using wheat/gluten products and fatty foods like chocolate. In small portions chocolate is fine, but 3 bars a day is excessive.