Posted by: Bee-Bee | 2008/09/01

Chocolate addiction.

I am addicted to chocolate but cannot eat it now because I am on treatment for candida. Is it permissable to eat the dark 85% variety? I have heard that this type is O.K.
Thank you very much.

Dear Bee-Bee
I presume you are on a sugar-free diet to try and combat the Candida? Some of the leading microbiologists in SA have stated in public that dietary factors do NOT affect Candida infections and cutting out foods like fruit, sugar and wheat will effectively starve the patient, but not affect the Candida organism! All human beings live in harmony with millions of yeasts such as Candida which occur naturally on our bodies. If something upsets the balance between the 'good' microorganisms and the potentially 'bad' organisms like Candida, then the Candida starts to flourish and you get infections. Factors that can promote the overgrowth of 'bad' microorganisms like Candida are stress, hormone treatments, antibiotics, obesity, etc. It may be useful for your dr to test a swab of your infection (e.g. the vagina, mouth, etc) to see which type of Candida you suffer from as different strains react to different antifungal preparations. It helps to use probiotics or 'good microorganisms' like Acidoforte by mouth and Vagiforte by vagina (buy at health shops) to help combat the Candida. Combine this with anti-fungal treatment as prescribed by your dr and a normal balanced diet. Chocolate with a high cacao content has been identified as an excellent source of antioxidants, but it still has a high energy content, so be careful how much you eat as this can increase weight.