Question
Posted by: Shy | 2007/05/29

Chocolate

Does chocolate make you fat?

Dear Shy
All foods when eaten in excess will cause weight gain. Chocolate is relatively rich in energy (22401 kJ/100g) and fat (30.6 g/100g), so it does have the potential to make you fat. However having one or two squares occasionally as part of a varied diet, should not cause weight gain.

3
Posted by: Y | 2007/05/31

It actually depends on the contents of the rest of your diet.

I've been on the South Beach Diet for a couple of months now -
lots of veggies, legumes, lean meats, good fats and some fruit, but no starches like potatoes, pasta, bread etc.

I've successfully added up to half a slap of chocolate per DAY to my diet from day one (Chocoloate is not really recommended on the South Beach diet until after the initial strict phase).

It did not keep me from loosing weight. In fact I've averaged about 1kg of weigh loss per week from the start. However, I have noticed that if I eat some high GI starches (e.g. potatoes, white bread, scons etc.) I put on weight - regardless of having had chocolate the same day or not.

Just remember to have only low GI chocolates - e.g. plain milk, plain white or plain dark chocolate, a combination of the above (e.g. Top Deck), or any of the above with nuts ( e.g. a wholenut slab).

DON'T have anything with high GI fillings like nougat, toffee, mint crisp etc.

Reply to Y
Posted by: leea | 2007/05/30

hi.,
hehehe. unfortunately it does make you fat! it contains high amounts of sugar., and if you dont do regular exercise it will turn in to fat...
its a very sad thing, but unfortunately i'm proof. hehe.. of course not just choccies that put on weight, but if your eating a bar a day your bound to pick it up.

So like Honeybee said, moderation is the key. if you really have to have every day i think 1 or 2 squares is fine. :-)

Reply to leea
Posted by: Honeybee | 2007/05/29

I should imagine that in moderation and by that I mean about 2 or 3 blocks shouldnt make you fat. Overindulgence definately does. And that goes for all the nices foods we like.

Reply to Honeybee