Question
Posted by: Chantel | 2005/07/28

Chlomid or not?? and other issues!!!!

I have just had been told that I have PCOS and my gynae has prescribed Chlomid. After reading the accompanying info I am very worried about possibility of mulitiple births. I am 36, overweight and insulin resistant so don't think I would be able to cope with multiples. The gynae has said he will do a scan on day 13 to check size and number of ova and I presume based on that I then decide whether to have sex or not? Feeling very confused and concerned about taking drug. What are my chances of kickstarting my ovulation again if I lose weight. I have been told by a doctor friend that I should slim down anyway (I am 30kgs overweight) as my weight/age etc could lead to hypertension/and other pregnancy problems. I logically understand this but frankly know several women who were far more overweight than me who had successful pregnancies. I realise I need to lose the weight but psychologically I am having huge problems with depression/weepiness even anger at the situation I find myself in plus external factors are not 100% at moment. Is it possible to take metformin to help with my insulin resistance and to lose weight?? must it be prescribed.

You could try Metformin first . This will help with weight loss and insulin resistance and can start you ovulating again. There is a risk of multiple pregnancy with Clomid.

4
Posted by: Chantel | 2005/09/06

Just a quick update and to thank Breez and Jen for their advice - I have started Metformin and a low GI diet - first week loss of 2.6kg so quite excited. have been told I can take the Chlomid at same time - so going for the multi-pronged approach!! Thanks for being so kind as to offer advice to a total stranger. Really appreciate it.
Regards Chantel
Will keep you posted on results!!

Reply to Chantel
Posted by: Jen | 2005/07/29

I was in exactly the same position as you - also about 30kg overweight, with PCOS and insulin resistance. My gynae was blatantly honest with me and told me I was too fat and needed to lose weight. I did this by following a low-GI diet as well as taking Glucophage (metformin) and lost the extra 30kg I was carrying. My periods then became regular again and I went on clomid. I am now 15 weeks pregnant. It took me 3 months on clomid to fall pregnant and I only managed to do that by using LH surge test strips so that I knew for sure when I was ovulating (they are available from the chemist). I know how you feel. When I was first diagnosed I was also angry - each time I would see an overweight woman with a baby I would think to myself how unfair it was that she could get pregnant and I couldn't. My husband brought reality home by telling me that I had brought the problems upon myself by eating all the wrong foods. In the end, we made it though. Good luck and remember that the tough diet will be worth it in the end when you do fall pregnant. Good luck! Jen.

Reply to Jen
Posted by: breez | 2005/07/29

Metphormim does help with weight and seeing a dietician to get you on the right diet for insulin resistance definately helps. Just dieting when you have insulin resistance will not work. There are food combinations and all sorts of tricks. I could not loose weight no matter how hard I tried until I started the diet the dietician suggested. I just feel better too. I have more energy. But of course exercise is also a key factor. You need a script for metformim but you could get that form your GP. Try a dietician though - really - it will all make better sense. I suppose your gynae might have gone he clomid age because of your age. I'm 32 rapidly approaching 33 and fertility specialist still decided on metphormim first. Insulin resistance can be a pre-diabetic condition so it is advisable to sort it out. It surprises me actually that he didn't presribe both - unless there is a problem that the 2 interact badly. Have you considered seeing a fertility specialist or another gynae perhaps they would help you feel more confident about the whole thing. PCOS can also make you emotional. Hope I've helped and you feel better soon. If you have any other questions please post a new message addressed to me. I have been going through the whole PCos thing for a while now. I ovulated beautifully last month after a lap and being on meds for approx 5 months.

Reply to breez
Posted by: SLC | 2005/07/29

I can't help with the weight issues & insulin resistance.

I took Clomid & fell pregnant in the first month. Also stressed about multiples but thank heavens there was only one baby. Any form of fertility (even if mild form) can result in multiples - just look at it this way - you won't be given anything you can't handle. I believe in that.

Reply to SLC