Posted by: SR | 2010/08/27


Hi there. I am a 26 year old woman. I asked you a question a few weeks ago regarding widespread muscular pain, joint pain and fatigue and you indicated that I should see a rheumatologist as it could be fibromyalgia. Post Title was " Should i bother"  and i posted it on 19 August..

Anyway, my physio had suggested I see a chiro as she couldnt help me after 4 months of trying, so I went to see the chiro yesterday - after explaining my symptoms (no x-rays were taken) he proceeded to use the " Activator method"  to adjust cervical vertabrae as well as others around my shoulder blade area and lower back. I also asked if its possible that it could be fibro and he said " Well thats not a disease and most muscular issues start off because of spinal misalignments" . Is this true?

Is chiropract really a " viable"  medical practice? I have heard that manipulation of the cervical vertabrae is potentially dangerous and may not help in the long term with chronic tension headaches, which i have. There are also lots of claims that this is " quack"  medicine. I am so confused! He said my spinal misalignments could be because of some physical trauma and most likely has nothing to do with fibro. I am really afraid to go back to him as not all of what he said makes sense. In your opinion, which stream of medicine is more scientifically proven - rheumatology or chiropract? What should i do now? Continue the chiropract route or get a referral for a rheumatologist (HOW, from whom??) Does fibromyalgia exist or not?? I am SO confused now.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc


You can consult your doctor for a referral to a rheumatologist. Rheumatology is a highly specialised aspect of medicine which is supported by scientific procedures. Yes, fibromyalgia is definately a condition. Refer to the following link:


Dr Anrich Burger

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.