Question
Posted by: christal | 2007/03/07

CHIRO ADVICE NOT CORRECT?

Good day,

I have a Shuffelas (excuse the spelling) fracture in my neck (5 years old), a skew spine and my ligaments in my mid back have some problems, which causes me constant pain. This all from my Chiropractor.

His solution for my pain was anti-inflammatory, losing weight (as I am overweight and this causes pressure on my neck and spine due to large belly and breasts) and getting fit by only cycling and walking but no other exercise (not even stretching) as he first wants me to get fit and then after 3 months he will send me a program for stretches.

I would like to know now, can I do Pilates which I can take at the gym (not a professional) or should I follow his advice and just walk, but the problem is I find it so boring that I end up not going to the gym at all, a class at least motivates me to go?

Would it even be possible for me to get fit by Kataboxing or would you recommend going to a Physio to strengthen my muscles but my Chiro tells me not to?

Expert ImageArchive

Pilates please - no kata box at this stage as too much load/explode on area

Apologies for very slow response time

1
Posted by: Taz | 2007/03/08

Hi Christal

I know that gym is very boring and that group training is much nicer. But you must watch out for pilates Instructor that has not been trained properly!! They can do more harm than good. Why don't you get someone to gym with you? The easiest way to loose weight is starting to eat correctly. Cut out as much sugar and fat as possible and continue with the walking. But don't walk slow, you need to get your heartrate up. So maybe walk a bit faster than usual. And you'll see your adrenalin levels will also increase and then it won't be boring anymore. This will also strengthen your back muscles as well as the rest of your muscles. About the Kataboxing, I think you must wait a bit. First get a bit fitter.

I hope this helped a bit...

Reply to Taz