Question
Posted by: Christal | 2007/03/07

Chiro advice not correct?

Good day,

I have a Shuffelas (excuse the spelling) fracture in my neck (5 years old), a skew spine and my ligaments in my mid back have some problems, which causes me constant pain. This all from my Chiropractor.

His solution for my pain was anti-inflammatory, losing weight (as I am overweight and this causes pressure on my neck and spine due to large belly and breasts) and getting fit by only cycling and walking but no other exercise (not even stretching) as he first wants me to get fit and then after 3 months he will send me a program for stretches.

I would like to know now, can I do Pilates which I can take at the gym (not a professional) or should I follow his advice and just walk, but the problem is I find it so boring that I end up not going to the gym at all, a class at least motivates me to go?

Would it even be possible for me to get fit by Kataboxing?

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Christa
The advice your chiropractor gave is good and I would not unnecessarily change this. Remember Pilates is also mostly stretching and strengthening of muscle exercises -( they are excellent), but in the meantime lose weight and walking will help with that as it burns more kilojoules than stretching exercises. I'm not sure about this Kataboxing- ask your doctor about this. Also, Pilates must preferably be given by someone who knows what they are doing- ask the gym where the instructor received training.